Organic and natural home fragrances
CCPB offers a certification service for organic and natural home fragrances.
Products to be certified
Products usually on the market are often based on petroleum derivatives or chemical synthesis substances. CCPB offers the opportunity to enhance a natural or organic alternative: scented candles with different colors, incense, essential oils, sprays, bags for wardrobes and drawers and car air-fresheners.
Home fragrances certified by CCPB may use natural or natural origin ingredients, with a maximum of 5% synthetic substances; the standard has a positive list of substances that can be used. Organic home fragrances must contain at least 70% by weight of organic ingredients, unlike the candles which may reach a percentage of 50% by weight. The use of substances from organic farming can be enhanced and reported on the package along with also the indication of the percentage of organic ingredients on the total of the ingredients of the finished product.
There is presently no legislation about fragrances; so there is no obligation to declare the composition of the products on the label. On the contrary, CCPB proposes a certification system to protect consumers.
Operation of the Certification
- The company applying the certification of its fragrances must comply with the requirements and obligations set out in the Production Standard and the Certification Regulation. The requested documents are:
- application for certification, with its annex and the documents referred to therein including the Control Plan
- acceptance of the economic offer and the contract for certification
Upon receipt of the documentation, CCPB provides:
- the document evaluation
- auditing of certification at the production sites
- decision for certification and issue of the certificate
- registration in the register of certified products
- surveillance activities through which CCPB assesses the maintenance of compliance with the Production Standard