CCPB has set up a special certification scheme for organic cosmetics.
The Production Standard for this scheme contains the minimum requirements for obtaining two types of product: organic cosmetics and cosmetics with organic ingredients, classed according to the raw material content originating from organic agriculture.
In order to be called Organic, a cosmetic product has to contain a minimum and the raw materials need to be at 95% organic: in the production it is not possible to use derivatives from petroleum:paraffin, formaldehyde and colourants of synthetic origin. Those ingredients are substituted by vegetal derivates, safer for human health and with more attention to the safeguard of the environment. Certified cosmetics have more affinity with the skin,thanks to the limited presence of synthetic substances and in fact, it is encouraged the use of natural ingredients such as floral waters, vegetable oils, essential oils and phyto extracts best if from organic agriculture. Organic Cosmetics do not contain gmos or synthetic perfumes.
Organic Cosmetics and Agriculture
It is good to remind that this scheme does not come within the scope of application of EC Reg. 834/07 therefore the standard is the result of a non-governmental initiative, having been put together by a work group comprising experts from companies and organisations operating in the cosmetics sector and it is equivalent to the most widely-used standards used at European level.
How certification works
Companies intending to apply for cosmetic product certification are required to meet the requirements and fulfil the obligations set out in the Production Standard.
The documents to be presented are:
- the submitted Application for Certification, accompanied by the appendix and the other documents required, including the Inspection Plan
- the signed financial agreement CCPB and the Certification Contract
When CCPB receives the above documents, they will
- be subjected to an assessment procedure
- an on-site inspection of the production sites will be arranged.
- Following the inspection of the production sites, the relevant committee with make a decision, and will issue certification,
- the company and the products in question will be added to the appropriate list.
The company will continue to be under the CCPB surveillance programme whose aim is to check that compliance with the Production Standard is being maintained.